Sunday, August 5, 2012

Don't Do Drugs

Did you do the "Just Say No" program when you were in 5th grade?  I did.  I never did drugs either.  I thought it had worked!  Successful program!  Well, maybe not.

You know Lucy?  That kid of mine is sometimes rather sickly.  She has terrible allergies, but has had a relatively healthy year (knock knock) since we had her adenoids out.  However, in February, her nose always starts to run, she coughs, and sneezes all the time.  We put her on Singulair for this last spring and it really helped.  We were also doing Zyrtec at the same time.  Both managed to keep her dried up and sinus infection free.  HOORAY!  However, you may recall that at many times she seemed to be demon possessed.  We had been at our wits end with her.  Everyone had been telling us that 3 was worse than two, and by May, we were true believers.

One night, when I was sure I was going to be driven insane by my child's radical behavior (screaming, hitting, defiance, head butting-do I need to go on?) something hit me.  I was talking to my mom and connected a few dots.  Drugs were started about the same time she turned 3 and started acting like a little hell's angel  spirited toddler.  Hmm, could it be that the drugs had incredibly awful side effects?  I did what all good moms do-I went to WEB MD!  I have diagnosed myself and others with a lot thanks to this website :-)

According to the web, those two drugs Lucy was on can cause: emotional outbursts, aggressive behavior, sleeplessness, difficulty with concentration...THAT WAS IT!  So, we stopped the drugs, the allergies were at bay, and my sweet baby girl was BACK!  HOORAY!

So in the future, remember-JUST SAY NO.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment