Friday, June 25, 2010

I MUST Brag


I must brag on my child for a brief moment. Now, I will preface what I am about to say with the fact that I KNOW all people think their children are really smart and gifted. I am a teacher, believe me I know this to be a fact. HOWEVER, Lucy really is VERY smart for her age.

We went to the doctor last Friday for her 15 month checkup. Yes, it was a bit late, but at least I did it! Anyway, every time you go for these milestone checkups (which also include an INSANE amount of shots for the kid) you have to fill out a little parent questionnaire about your child's vocabulary, development, etc. The doctor then looks at it and tells you where your child is developmentally vs. their real age. It is a good little piece of data to help you know things you need to work on with your child as well.

So...I filled out page one and two, but still had not found things little Mensa could not do. So I filled out page three. I found something she didn't' know (her belly) and so I had to stop. I'll interject here that she now knows her belly. But anyway...when the doctor came in to see us we were informed that Lucy was (by age) 1 year and 3 months old. By development, however, she is 2 years and 3 months old. WHAT?!?! This is wonderful, but I don't want her to be SCARY SMART. I had a scary smart kid in the team class my first year of teaching, and man! Scary smart is SCARY. All of you SC peeps probably remember old Elizabeth :)

Now, I'm thrilled that she's way advanced, don't get me wrong. I guess her being in the class with older kids at baby school is paying off. Plus, Bryan and I aren't dummies either. This kid just impresses me every day. Some of you have seen the movie of her saying her ABCs.
It's pretty impressive, I know. I mean, just look at her...

Picture of intelligence, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment