Monday, August 1, 2011

I Can Do THAT!


I am a sucker for hand-painted canvases. I go to the Southern Market, and I am in hog heaven. We have one in our "playroom" (see below) called "How to Really Love a Child." My parents just bought one while we were at the beach called "The Joy of Grandparenting." They both came from www.gloryhaus.com. It has such cute stuff! However, we are poor, and spending $50 is going to be on gas and groceries, not cute canvases.

So, I just found a great deal on a cute little bed side table for Lucy's room (you might have read that post). I took the lamp off her chest of drawers and put it on the table, thus creating a bit of a "hole" over the chest of drawers. It has been driving me nuts, but we don't have the money for me to go buy something to fill it up. However, I am slightly crafty and I remembered that we had a blank canvas under the guest bed. I have good handwriting, after all, Samford made me take a class in it before I could get my teaching certificate! I am not the greatest artist, but I figured I was capable of making something suitable for Lu's wall.

Before she was born, I was looking into those words for walls decals. I was going to do a verse from the Bible on a wall in her room. However, it was quite expensive to custom order one, AND time just ran out. I did have a professional make some small canvas monogram paintings to match Lucy's bedding. She did such a great job! But I looked and looked at her work and knew I had it in me to do such cute things.
So I thought last night, why not just make a canvas with a verse on it? I went to Michaels and spent $6.72 on paint and a small brush set. Then, I dove in! I found a verse Bryan and I both really liked, sketched it out, taped up my canvas, and 5 hours later...a masterpiece!

Well, it might not technically be a masterpiece, but pretty darn good for my FIRST canvas NOT being painted in a class while I was drinking (see www.sipsnstrokes.com OR www.paintingwithatwist.com OR www.myspiritedart.com). I highly recommend THOSE types of classes. FUN! Anyway, here is the finished product in Lucy's bedroom. Now, if only I had time to make more.



No comments:

Post a Comment