Friday, May 27, 2011

Cutters

Lucy got her first haircut back in December. It was less emotional that I thought it would be. She didn't actually even realize I was cutting her hair at the time. When I did it, she was caught up in a rousing episode of Sesame Street. I finally had to bite the bullet and do it. I was tired of picking her up from school and her looking like a child who'd been abandoned by her parents (and hairbrush). She looked soooo adorable when all was said and done, and even more grown up. I counted haircut #1 as a success.

Haircut #2 came last week. She was starting to get that "abandoned child" look again. (See picture #1 below) So, I thought it was time to get out the scissors again. Now, I have no formal cosmotology training, but I did a pretty rad job with haircut #1. This time, however, I was not thinking. I waited until Lucy was tired and grumpy before I started. Not a great plan. I pulled her onto my lap on a stool and began to wet and cut. I thought it would be a lot like last time, but I was VERY wrong. She totally freaked out about the scissors (or CUTTERS as she called-or rather screamed-them). She kept screaming, "I don't want mommy to cut my hair!" and "Where are the cutters?!" She was squirming and screaming (definitely glad we weren't at some swanky salon while she was pulling this crap). I couldn't believe how upset she was about me trimming her hair. She really did NOT want a haircut, but after the first few chops, there was no turing back. Bryan was watching in horror as the battle raged on and finally put a stop to it.

So, not really knowing if all hair was even on all sides (and a small flesh wound on my finger later), we dumped Lucy in the bath and that was that. We put her to bed and I spent the next hour lying in bed stressing over whether or not my child was going to look like MORE of a crazy person the next day. When I picked her up from school, her head was a mass of curls! I knew she had some curl to her hair (between her Mimi and myself she had no hope of getting straight hair), but I had no clue it was going to be so curly! (See picture #2 below). Well, the mass of curls didn't help me figure out if we had to do battle with hair again, so...I got the chi after her and straightened the hair out. Turns out, a few screams, some blood, and one tired mommy later...I didn't do such a bad job! However, she was still ticked (as you can see from her face in picture #3!)






No comments:

Post a Comment