Tuesday, May 31, 2011

One LOOOOONG Weekend



Well, I'm officially done with the school year! It hasn't hit me yet, but as soon as I walk out the door each day, the 95 degree heat slams me and I remember that it actually IS summer (although not officially until June 20th or something). It has been MISERABLY hot here. Of course, if you read a few posts ago, you are probably saying to yourself, "Why don't they just take a dip in the world's largest blow-up pool?" Well, we tried. We were so excited about getting in the pool Saturday afternoon. Bryan filled it up and we were all going to lounge to keep cool. We ran to the store to buy my new and amazing camera, got Lucy some ice cream, and then we were all set to swim!


Bryan had fired up the grill and Lucy and I were scooping out bugs that had died in the water. All was well until...the attack of the killer chiggers.


That's right folks, chiggers. Kind of sounds dirty doesn't it? I was watching Lu with her bug scoop and kept feeling like something was biting me. I went over to Bryan and asked him to look over me (poor guy, I'm not a great sight to see in a swimsuit) and he didn't see anything. So, I put down the camera (which is VERY hard for me to do) and Lucy and I hopped in the pool. As I was sitting there, I kept feeling little bites all over my arms and neck and shoulders. When I looked at the edge of the world's largest blow-up pool, I noticed...KILLER CHIGGERS EVERYWHERE! I am talking hundreds of the little critters. Now, if you know me at all you know that I HATE nature. These little creepy crawling CHIGGERS just served to reinforce the fact that the beach is really the only place I care to be outside. I digress... I knew if these little things were all over me, they were probably all over Lu as well. Sure enough, I looked her over and she had some on her too!

Needless to say, we scooped her up, all took showers, drained the world's largest blow-up pool, and were quite mad about the whole thing. I mean seriously, do you remember how much trouble that stupid pool has been? Now it has a CHIGGER infestation? Not only does the world's biggest blow-up pool have to stay on the patio when we're not using it, it now must stay there for us to swim as well. Please take a moment to picture ALL my furniture slammed up against the house and on one edge of the patio. It looks really special. Plus, it isn't symmetric, which once again if you know neurotic me at all, you know I lay in bed and am completely bothered by this.

Saturday night, after all the CHIGGER mayhem, Lucy was up from 12:30-3:30. Uh oh. We knew she must be getting sick. She was coughing and sneezing, and the nose was dripping. Super. At least I am out of school. We skipped church Sunday and just chilled out. Lucy REALLY wanted to go in the pool, but between the 95 degrees and air quality alert, we kept her in. Have you had to do that? Keep a 2 year-old in and calm during a nice, sunny day? It makes for a LOOOONG day. That night, Lu was up from 2:30-4:30. Momma likes her sleep, so by Monday, I was a bit delirious. Thank goodness for coffee.

Monday was Memorial Day. It was very low key for us. We did a few errands, but tried to keep Lucy inside as much as possible. Poor thing was not getting much better. She begged to swim, but we said no. We did let her eat a popsicle outside. She was thrilled!


My parents came over and Lucy and I donned our new, matching tie-dye (red, white and blue) t-shirts. We were pretty cute. There are, of course, no pictures of me, as the camera was attached to my eyeball all day.


We had a little cookout, read some books, and all went to bed EARLY.



Thank goodness Lu slept through the night-well, until 5:30 a.m. So I'm not sure that counts. We went to the pediatrician this morning. They aren't sure if she is having a major allergy attack, or has a little virus going around. I did NOT want to put her on antibiotics again, so I'm pleased with their suggestion to just keep up all her allergy meds. She really feels crummy though. We've been ordered to stay in and home from her school. Her moods are up and down and making a loooong weekend turn into a loooooong week.

So, we now have the world's biggest blow-up pool on our patio, filled with water, which my poor sick child can't even get in. Perhaps in a few more days it will be warm enough to feel like a hot tub. If Bryan and I aren't asleep at 7:30, we might enjoy it! For now, get out the scissors and glue! Hello indoor craft time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment