Friday, July 1, 2011

Never Say Never...


I can still remember the first time I saw it. There was this mother with her very small child (maybe a year old) in the line in front of me at a consignment sale. The baby girl had no shoes on, a swimsuit and a little skirt over it and a hairband. She also had (wait for it...) painted toe nails!!! I was just appalled at how inappropriate it looked. I just sort of thought it looked a bit trashy. Am I too uptight?? She also had her ears pierced, which I decided I won't do until LUCY decides SHE wants holes punched in her ears forever and ever. I swore then and there that I was NOT going to paint my child's toes until she was at least 4 years old. I just don't think a sweet, innocent little girl needs her toes painted. I also don't agree with 12 year olds wearing shorts and pants with the word "JUICY" across the butt either, but that is a whole other issue.

So fast forward to now. We are having WWIII at our house (you may also hear me refer to it as "The War Over the Potty." If you've read my past blogs, you know this war has been going on for months now. Lucy goes to the potty all day long at school. She wears "big girl panties" and has not one accident. Then, we come home, and she full on refuses to go to the bathroom in the potty. I am talking arched back, screaming, fits and crying. (Lucy also gets very upset). It is awful. I keep getting LOTS of advice-just wait until she's ready, don't force it, read to her, distract her, blah blah. Let me tell you, if she is going all day at school, that little chick is more than ready. She and I are locked in a power struggle!

Well, it has been a rough week at our house. B and I are a bit stressed about life, money, etc. Lucy has not been sleeping well, and I think she's not a huge fan of her new class at school. She started swimming lessons which I think was stressful for her as well. All in all, it has sort of been a weird week. So yesterday I decided that I was going to offer some type of new reward, as M&Ms, jellybeans, etc. are not working. Enter nail polish. I painted my toes red for the 4th of July weekend, and Lucy loved them. As much as I didn't want to do it, I told her that if she went to the potty 3 times IN THE POTTY, I would paint her toenails. EEEK! Actually, I wasn't too scared because I really didn't think she'd do it.


I was wrong. She went 4 times. CRAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment