Thursday, December 17, 2009

It Finally Happened


So it finally happened. You know, that moment when you are stuck in traffic and your child is screaming bloody murder in the back from her car seat? That moment. It totally happened on Tuesday. It was not fun. I even got the "Bless your heart" look from a woman driving a mini-van who had pulled up beside me. My guess is that since she was in a mini-van, she'd been where I was. Probably multiple times.

When I picked Lucy up from baby school, she was mad at her teacher. Long story, but she never got over it. As I was strapping her in to her new snazzy Evenflo carseat, she began to fuss. Dang it. I started to sing the trusty "ABCs" but she didn't care one bit. I started the car and pulled out, but to no avail. The screaming would not stop. I tried trusty song #2, "The Wheels on the Bus." No luck. She screamed and cried and screamed and cried and...(need I go on?)

The new car seat is nice, yes, but it prevents me from seeing her at all. I can barely reach her (as I write this I feel a lecture coming on from Bryan if he reads this-"You shouldn't be TRYING to reach her in the car. ALWAYS pull over." Has he been talking to my mother?). Anyway, nothing helped, and traffic was heavy. I've heard about these special moments from other kids with friends, but have never experienced it before now. Lu is generally quite happy (chatting about dada or singing lalalala) or totally passed out in the back seat when we are in the car. I just finally tried to ignore the child screaming her head off in the back seat as best I could. Don't know if that was right, or something the perfect mommy would do, but hey, it worked for me. Tuesday had already been a REAL LONG day.

When we finally got home, she was still grumpy for the next hour or so. It was not fun. Eventually, after throwing some soft blocks about 235 times, her mood improved. Perhaps anger management is in our future...

No comments:

Post a Comment